Thursday, May 3, 2012

My Lolo

This is going to be a different blog entry, not about our family and what we are up to, but more of a tribute to my Lolo.  I want to put in here some of the stuff I would have liked to say at his funeral.  There were things I wanted to say but I knew that there was no way that I would be able to do it because my emotions would take over and people would just be listening to me cry more than anything...but now it has been 2 months and although emotions are still raw for me I am glad that I can still have the chance to say what I wanted to say.

When I first heard from my mom that he had passed my first thoughts were that she was wrong...but she wasn't.  Then my my next thought was anger/regret because we had not visited him since we had gotten back from the cruise and I was planning on visiting him but he had just been released from the hospital the day before.  Then sadness and sorrow took over.  It is very had to lose a loved one...most of us have gone through it before but there is something about losing a grandparent that is different.  They were most likely your first babysitter, first person to give you candy and spoil you; they are also one of the first people to love you as much as your own parents, unconditionally.  I miss him very much still but I know that he is in a better place, especially because he is with the love of his life (other than all of us, his family, of course=)) Lola. I know he has been missing her for the past 11 years and now he gets to be with her.  Knowing this makes it that much easier to not have him here anymore.
Me, Lola, Beth and Lolo
Lolo and his grandkids at the Madrid house

 He was a very caring and loving man. He loved his family and he also loved God. He was very religious and a lot of my beliefs and introduction of Catholicism came from him and Lola.  His house was the first place I learned how to pray the rosary. He was always reminding us to pray and instilling in us how important our faith is. He was also always on us to have a good education!!!  I remember the first time I brought David to one of our family parties I could tell Lolo liked him a lot but I also remember him telling me..."but remember Katrina, school first!" =)   I am very lucky to have had the support from my own parents and all my family, like Lolo, to push me forward in life...I finished school and David was still around. By this time I know Lolo LOVED David because he would tell me and my mom!  Now it was " Katrina...when are you guys going to get married??" LOL So after getting engaged and a year later we got married right away it was "You guys should have babies now...why are you waiting?" and  "When are you going to have kids? I want to see them before I die..." And then we finally were pregnant with Luke and he was ECSTATIC!  Luke was born and he LOVED Lukey (and all his other great grandkids of course) Then 2 years later we had Zachary! He was so happy again! He loved fat boy Zach which means me bring me to my most recent memory of him.  Whenever he would see Zach he would say "I-sac Isac Isac!" and I would always correct him; "Lolo, his name is Zach, not Issac!" lol...then I didn't know if maybe he was saying "HI Zach" but it was just coming out I-sac...so we just let him be. =) I'm so happy that he got his wish and could meet our baby boys and I'm so glad they got to meet their Lolo and know him even if it was for a short time.  They will know that he loves them very much.  

Lolo and Lukey
Lolo and Zach aka "I-sac"

There are so many things that I will miss and always remember him for. I will always remember Lola and him at his Madrid house...so many wonderful memories there in San Francisco.  I think one of the main reasons I LOVE SF is because whenever we went it was to visit either Lolo and Lola or Nanay so I just automatically relate them to SF and it makes me happy.
 His love for the 49ers, his favorite cheese which we called "stinky cheese" that he would always have at his house, his house being 80 degrees no matter what the season (b/c he was always cold), his smile, him sitting in his chair and "watching" tv only to fall asleep lol and his favorite color yellow, just like me =)....but what I miss most is his hugs and laughs. I know that we will meet again but until then I will be missing these simple things. It will be hard this year knowing he won't be at our Christmas party making us get in a line to get his present from him and he won't be around to watch Niner games with anymore or see at church. Although I won't see him anymore....I will always remember his smile and his laugh and hugs and kisses.  I'm also really glad our family likes to take pictures (LOL) because now I have these to look at as well as all the memories I have  to remember him by. He lived a long and blessed life and has all of us to continue his legacy.  We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him.  I want to say so much more but can't find the words...what I mainly want to say is I am so lucky to have had him as my grandfather, I couldn't be happier and have asked for anyone better. Here are some of my favorite pictures with him.

Lolo was my date for a Father-Daughter Dance (since my dad had 3 girls he couldn't be all of our dates lol)

I got a camera for xmas and this one of the first pictures I took =)

Miggy, Lolo and David...his military boys


Dancing with Lolo at my wedding

Christmas 2010

Lolo with his Great grandkids Xmas 2010

Lolo with our family Halloween 2011
 I know he is watching down on us and I hope he knows how much he is missed and loved. I It's funny because today is Lola's Birthday (may 3rd) and I bet you they are sitting up there in heaven watching over us and having some of Lola's DELICIOUS mocha cake... Happy Birthday Lola!!! I'm glad you get to spend it with Lolo again.   I love you both and miss you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment